Friday, January 16, 2009

Thrown for a Loop

Holy Crow, I got the most interesting phone call today.
The RE I see for Turner’s is in an infertility clinic at a nearby hospital. They do DE cycles but we didn’t consider them b/c they anticipated a wait of a year before we’d be matched w/ a donor. I wasn’t willing to wait that long so we decided on CNY.
Apparently they considered our appointment where we got the bloodwork and what have you done as our consult and put us on the recipient list. Well I got a call out of the blue today from the DE nurse coordinator asking if we were interested in possibly cycling in April. She hadn’t matched us yet so it might be summer before we could cycle but we were next on the list so April was very possible. I told her yes we’d be interested in cycling in April and asked her when she’d know more and she said next week.
So now my mind is spinning. 1) should I have told her that we were in process elsewhere? 2) Is this a sign that we should cycle here? 3) OMG I’ve done nothing but research and evaluate clinics for the last 18 months and this happens throwing all of that out the window.

The pros to cycling there would be not having to travel, no having to take a week off, just 3 or 4 days for et/bedrest. Time off is less of an issue for me b/c mine carries over so I’m good but Banks gets a limited amount of time each year. We’d be able to save the cost of traveling. Wouldn’t have to deal w/ bedrest at a hotel, I could be in my own comfy room. I know I’d be more relaxed in that environment. I like the staff at the clinic, they are extremely helpful and after going there for 2+ years they know me and I know them.

Cons to cycling there are: They have lower success rates (that’s HUGE to me), they do the matching so have to say yes or no to the donor they offer (not big if I don’t like her we’ll just stay w/ CNY), They don’t do many de cycles a year so their experience is much less than CNY (slightly important to me).

Banks’ is in a meeting so I haven’t talked to him about it, and of course what he thinks is huge, especially since I don’t know what I think at the moment. Though I’m leaning towards seeing 1) if cycling in April is definite 2) what the donor is like and going from there. If we won’t be able to cycle till much later or the donor is unproven/has med history I don’t like I think staying w/ CNY makes the most sense. In the meantime any thoughts?

“A thing long expected takes the form of the unexpected when at last it comes”
-Mark Twain

5 comments:

Steve said...

Hope, just a quick thanks for keeping this chronicle of your journey. I just came across your blog this afternoon. My daughter has TS and your blog covers a topic I'm most interested in. I wish you all the best of luck with your journey to parenthood, and I look forward to reading all your future posts.

Andrea said...

Wow! That's cool. Tough choice, though. I say just wait & check out the donor & make your decision from there. I never realize until we did it, how much went into the donor choices. There's so much to evaluate & think about. Good luck!

Jojobee said...

Oh my! What a freak thing! That's crazy! I would stay with CNY and find out what you can about the other clinic and then go from there. Personally, I think I would go with the clinic with the most experience... That's why we chose who we did (there are 3 here that offer de, and we chose the one who's been around the longest and have the higher success rates)... Although, it's all up to you guys and what/who you feel is right.
Prayers to you two and the decisions you have to make in the very near future!

DE Mommy said...

Go for the clinic with the highest success rate. Everything counts for nothing if you don't get pg.

You can also work with two clinics at the same time until you make the final decision. But success is the most important thing.

Peeveme said...

I say see the donor the clinic has to offer. Then decide. All things being equal I'd go for the one with the better rates and more experience. Just like you are thinking. But if the donor from the other clinic knocked my socks off I might go for that.

Basically I'm saying stay in with both clinics until you get more info then decide.